Saturday 8 May 2010

Mothers Day




A card is on its way to Sunama from Akil and Sabi, with loving messages for Mothers Day and the latest school photo of each. I don't think Sabi's photo will cause a stir but Akil's may well, with his very un-traditional but certainly original hair.

Vidya tells us that Sunama decided to return to her village with Zeenath, now 3 years old, while the older four children remain at The Ashram. They are good students and are achieving decent marks at their English-medium school, and have all recently moved up to the next grade. That is is great news considering Fareeda and Anwar, in particular, had missed a lot of early education.

Sunama visits the children on weekends. As it is now the summer school break in Chennai, the children have all returned home for a month. Sunama keeps herself busy looking after Zeenath, who is now enrolled in the local preschool, and cooks idli for a stall she runs in the village. Having tasted Sunama's cooking, no doubt the food is delicious - we'll all have to try it on our next visit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading Love our Way and immediatly logged on to find out what has happened since the book was published. Thanks so much for allowing others to be apart of this story and shedding so much light in these adoption cases!

3Picuinhas said...

I've discovered your story at Youtube, and I was so amazed that I couldn't stop until I've read all the posts in the blog. You are truly amazing! The children you've raised are amazing. What a beautiful inspiring story, thank you so much

karisma said...

Just finished your book! What an amazing family you have! I was very excited to see the blog link at the end and am looking forward to catching up on the last couple of years! much love and peace to you and you're family! Namaste xoxo

Anonymous said...

Julia, I repeat the sentiments of others here - I too have just finished reading Love our Way and also immediately logged on to see what has occured in your eventful lives since. I now sit with a tear in my eye learning that the kind gentle man Babu is no longer with us. I have worked for over 28 years with adults with disability so therefore had insight into a lot of your writings. You are a truly amazing family and one inspirational woman - it is people like you who deserve recognition in our national award systems - not some music hasbeen with millions of dollars. God Bless. Trisha

Andrea said...

Julia 7 family.I have just finished reading 'Love our Way', and like the others i had to log on to see how Babu was going.. I am now sitting here with tears streaming down my face.. Never before has a story touched me as your & Sunama's story has.. Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes up to such a life..

R.I.P Babu..

Nandini said...

Truly an inspirational story. I'm thinking of adoption and came across your story on youtube when I was looking up for Adoption stories. You guys are just "awesome". I was all emotional reading through your blogs. I haven't read your book yet, but will buy it today.

Luv2travel said...

I watched a program on ABC the otehr week and just felt in love with your store. I then I went on readying your book " Love our Way" and enjoyed the book very much.

We are thinking of adopting and not sure where and how to start, would you have any insights to share?

They called her Chloe said...

beautiful teenagers, I am sure their first other will be so pleased to get these photos. Facebook photos are all I have these days and I do treasure them. good luck with the trip to India this year.

Unknown said...

I also just finished your story and was amazed at the commitment and love you and Barry have to all your children and their families, as I know you would do the same for all your children's natural families if you were to find them. I really believe that love counts the most. You can't force that feeling and children know when it is genuine. I wish there were a lot more families out there like yours.

Anonymous said...

After reading all this I think that the root of poverty really lies in having way too many children.